After a short pause, the developers released the third snapshot 1.18 with experimental world generation. The transitions between biomes have become even more natural, and a new biome has been added. As before, in order to learn innovations, you will have to create a new world.
List of major changes:
- New mountain biome – Stony peaks. Represent peaks without snow.
- Reduced the chance of biomes with opposite climates (e.g. desert and tundra) crossing.
- The average size of biomes has been reduced.
- Mesa can now be generated near the vents. Increased the height of the red sand generation.
- The rocks will look smoother.
- Outposts can now spawn in new mountain biomes and villages in mountain meadows.
- Beaches now mostly appear on flat surfaces.
- Aquifers will more often connect to flooded caves.
- Reduced the number of huge flooded caves.
- Grass can no longer grow underwater.
- In gorges with a dry climate, rivers are less likely to be generated.
- Mob spawn rate no longer depends on height. It now always matches the metric that was set to a 64 high in version 1.16.
To test the changes, you need an official launcher and a licensed version of the game. To install, you need to follow these steps:
- Download the archive (it is attached to this news).
- Unpack its contents into the versions folder, which is located in the .minecraft folder.
- Create a new launch configuration with experimental snapshot 1.18 as the version.
- Start the game, the necessary files will be rolled automatically.
The developers will be happy to hear feedback and critical bug reports, this will help to release the second part of the mining update faster and improve it.