The first official snapshots of version 1.18 will be released only in the fall, but now the developers are giving an opportunity to assess the scale of future changes. A special snapshot was released today, which includes all the cancelled changes in world generation, and also added many new features. At the moment, it cannot be directly downloaded through the launcher, only installed using the downloadable file.
The new generation of the world includes the following changes:
- the height of the world has been increased (by 64 blocks in height and depth);
- reworked mountains and caves;
- new mountain biomes have appeared in the game: lofty peaks, snowcapped peaks, grove, meadow, and snowy slopes;
- added new types of cave generation: cheese, spaghetti and noodles;
local water and lava levels form in caves;
- added new cave biomes: lush and drip, they are generated both underground and inside large mountains;
added more variations of natural terrain generation for all biomes;
- changed the distribution of ore depending on the height;
- added large ore deposits;
- improved combination of mountains and caves;
- hostile mobs appear only in complete darkness.
The developers are kindly asked not to forget that all changes are experimental. The new generation can create extremely unusual structures. Also, this version is not yet optimized, so even powerful PCs may experience poor performance. Previously, similar changes were released in the form of data packs, but now the developers plan to release them only as snapshots.
To test the changes, you need an official launcher and a licensed version of the game. To install, you need to follow these steps:
- Download the archive (it is attached to this news).
- Unpack its contents into the versions folder, which is located in the .minecraft folder.
- Create a new launch configuration with experimental snapshot 1.18 as the version.
- Start the game, the necessary files will be rolled automatically.
The developers will be happy to hear feedback and critical bug reports, this will help to release the second part of the mining update faster and improve it.